= Ball may be cleaned when lifted.
Proper Drop: Drop ball from knee height – no closer to hole.
No Penalty – get one club length.
Penalty = get two club lengths.
Ground club in bunker = two penalty strokes.
Ground club in Red or Yellow Penalty Area = no penalty.
Ball Hitting the Flagstick: From on or off the Green = no penalty. Ball is played from where it lies.
Out of Bounds defined by White Stakes or
Lost Ball – one option only for both:
1. Go back to where the previous stroke was made and hit again = one penalty stroke.
2. Ball is not “lost” if hit into yellow or red penalty area. Use appropriate options.
Provisional Ball: Hit a provisional ball if you think your ball is lost or OB outside of a penalty area. You must say, “I’m hitting a provisional ball.” If you don’t and you find your 1st ball and its not OB, you must abandon it and play the provisional.
Yellow Penalty Area defined by Yellow Lines or Stakes – Three options:
1. Hit the ball as it lies = no penalty.
2. Go back and hit from original spot = one penalty stroke.
3. Imagine a straight line from flagstick going back to the point where the ball last entered hazard and drop on that line as far back as you want to go = one penalty stroke.
Red Penalty Area defined by Red Lines or Stakes – same as #1, 2 and 3 above plus two more options:
4. Drop the ball within two club lengths from red stakes at point where ball last crossed the penalty area, no nearer the hole = one penalty stroke. (This option is used most often.)
Ball on cart path or other immovable obstructions (man-made) = No penalty for taking relief.
Do not pick up the ball until certain you want to take relief. Note: Nearest point of relief could be worse as in a bush or down a steep hill. Free relief from man-made obstruction only is allowed.
Once you move the ball, you must take complete relief for lie, stance and intended swing.
1. Find nearest point of relief by pretending to set up to an imaginary ball with the club you will use for the shot (no closer to the hole), giving no interference to stance, lie or intended swing.
2. Mark the imaginary ball with a tee.
3. Lay (or estimate) your longest club down (no nearer the hole) and mark again at the end of the club with a tee.
4. Pick up club and drop ball between the two tees. You get two tries to drop and land the ball within the relief area. If not successful, you may place the ball where it contacted the course on your second drop.
Unplayable Ball can be declared anywhere except in a yellow or red penalty area. Three options:
1. Go back to where your previous stroke was made and hit again = one penalty stroke.
2. Drop ball (no nearer to the hole) within 2 club lengths from where the ball lies = one penalty stroke.
3. Imagine a straight line from flagstick going back to where the ball lies and drop on that line as far back as you want = one penalty stroke.
Unplayable ball in a Bunker:
Option 1: Go back to where your previous stroke was made and hit again = one penalty stroke.
Option 2 & 3: Same as above – ball must be dropped in the bunker = one penalty stroke.
Option 4: Same as 3 above but ball can be dropped outside of the bunker = two penalty strokes.
Ground Under Repair, Temporary Water and Animal Holes.
Same as immovable obstructions (cart path) = no penalty stroke.
Loose Impediments: May be moved anywhere on the course = no penalty stroke.
If the ball moves it must be replaced to original spot = one penalty stroke.
Staked Trees. Read scorecard for local rules. May get free relief. Take enough relief to avoid touching tree with your swing.