= Ball may be cleaned when lifted.
Proper Drop: Raise arm straight out to shoulder height; drop ball no closer to hole.
No Penalty – get one club length.
Penalty = get two club lengths.
Ground club in hazard = two stroke penalty.
Out of Bounds defined by White Stakes or
Lost Ball – one option only:
Hit again from original lie = one penalty stroke.
Ball is not “lost” if hit into a water or lateral hazard. Use appropriate options.
Provisional Ball: Hit a provisional ball if you think your ball is lost or OB. You must say, “I’m hitting a provisional ball.” If you don’t and you find your 1st ball and its not OB, you must abandon it and play the provisional.
Water Hazard defined by Yellow Stakes – Three options:
1. Hit the ball as it lies = no penalty.
2. Go back and hit from original spot = one penalty stroke.
3. Imagine a straight line from flagstick going back to the point where the ball last entered hazard and drop on that line as far back as you want to go = one penalty stroke.
Lateral Water Hazard defined by Red Stakes – same as #1, 2 and 3 above plus two more options:
4. Drop the ball within two club lengths from red stakes at point where ball last entered hazard, no closer to the hole = one penalty stroke. (This option is used most often.)
5. Same as #4, but drop the ball on opposite side of hazard, equidistant from hole to point where ball last entered the hazard = one penalty stroke.
Ball on cart path or other immovable obstructions (man-made) = No penalty for taking relief.
Do not pick up the ball until certain you want to take relief. Note: Nearest point of relief could be worse as in a bush or down a steep hill. Free relief from man-made obstruction only is allowed.
Once you move the ball, you must take complete relief for lie, stance and intended swing.
1. Find nearest point of relief by pretending to set up to an imaginary ball with the club you will use for the shot (no closer to the hole), giving no interference to stance, lie or intended swing.
2. Mark the imaginary ball with a tee.
3. Lay any club down (no nearer the hole) and mark again at the end of the club with a tee.
4. Pick up club and drop ball between the two tees. You get two tries to drop and land the ball within the rules. If not successful, you may place the ball where it contacted the course on your second drop.
An Unplayable Lie can be declared anywhere except in a water or lateral hazard – Three options:
1. Go back and hit from original lie = one penalty stroke.
2. Drop ball (no closer to the hole) within two club lengths from where the ball lies = one penalty stroke.
3. Imagine a straight line from flagstick going back to where the ball lies and drop on that line as far back as you want = one penalty stroke.
Unplayable in a bunker? Same 3 options as above. If using Options 2 or 3, ball must be dropped in the bunker.
Ground Under Repair, Casual Water and Burrowing Animal Holes.
Same as cart path or immovable obstructions = no penalty stroke.
Staked Trees. Read scorecard for local rules. May get free relief. Take enough relief to avoid touching tree with your swing.