Club Champion and Players Champion
This year, FWGA will recognize two (2) tournament players for their excellence.
- The Players Champion honors the best Net golfer who not only plays exceptionally throughout the year but also wins the Net match play tournament.
- The Club Champion honors the best Low Gross golfer who not only plays exceptionally throughout the year but also wins the Gross match play tournament.
To compete for either of these titles players must be available to play in the Match Play Tournaments. The top four in each field will compete.
||The Qualifying Tournaments:
April 8 – Rancho Solano
Under Match Play
Match Play Tournament
Club Champion will be straight up match play with no “pops”.
Players Champion matches will be played by “spinning off the low” for handicapping.
This means if a 30 handicap plays a match against a 15 handicap, the person with the 15 handicap would get no strokes, and the person with the 30 handicap would get one stroke on the number 1 through 15 handicap holes. Handicaps will be based on the current month index at the start of the competition.
The rounds of match play (gross and net) are scheduled as stated below:
|Date||Golf Course||Match Play Round||Qualifiers|
|Completed by Sept. 12||TBD between participants from approved list||1||1 vs 4
2 vs 3
|Completed by Sept. 29||TBD between participants from approved list||2||Winner of 1 vs 4 Winner of 2 vs 3|
- Rounds will be coordinated between participants and Club Championship Chair.
- Compromise and flexibility in setting up these rounds between competitors is important. Any problems in reaching an agreement should be brought to the Club Championship Chair.
- Course for rounds will be mutually agreed upon between players among the courses listed above that are in the tournament schedule for this year.
- Results from each round needs to be reported by winner to Club Championship Chair within 2 days of completion of round.
- The Club Championship is a head to head match without additional players. Foursomes may occur when two head to head competitions are grouped for a foursome, the course they are playing fills the foursome, or by approval of each player, other FWGA members may be invited to fill the foursome.
Rules for Match Play Tournament
Singles Match (Two Party).
If tied at the end of 18 holes players will continue to Hole 1 (unless directed to another hole by the golf course.) and continue to play until one player is declared a winner. In net play “pops” continue to count.
Here are some questions you may have in regards to the change from our previous club champion format.
How do I know I am playing for the Club or Players Champion?
You will need to let the Club Championship Chair know that you would like to participate and in which category, prior to the first tournament of the season.
What if I change my mind and don’t want to participate?
No problem, just let the Club Championship Chair know. BUT you may not decide to join later! So go for it! What do you have to lose?
How do I earn points? There are no longer points. Your gross or net score depending on which category you are competing is counted and added together for a cumulative score of your 3 best scores.
I like to play with my friends at tournaments and don’t want to play with the Championship Flight? No problem. Just let the Club Championship Chair know when you sign up and you will be paired with one of your friends and not placed in the Championship Flight, but your score will still count.
I can’t make all of the Tournaments? No problem. You only have to turn in 3 scores. If you play in 4 or 5 tournaments your 3 lowest scores will be used.